News:

Welcome to Home Machinist's Journal!! We've been live since April 20th, 2024

Main Menu

Quick Links

Welcome to Home Machinist's Journal. Please login or sign up.

Sep 29, 2026, 06:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 51
  • Latest: Irv
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,461
  • Total Topics: 299
  • Online today: 161
  • Online ever: 971 (Sep 15, 2026, 06:11 AM)
Users Online
3 Guests, 1 User
chips and more

Lathe chuck opinions

Started by Piggiron, Sep 27, 2026, 09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Piggiron

I've started shopping around for a 4-jaw for the Logan lathe.
Looking at available options, I started to wonder if looking for a chuck threaded for the spindle (2 1/4" x 8 TPI) or look for backing plates to switch to a camlock style.
Any thoughts or opinions ?
If camlock is better options, which type would you recommend ?

PJ

The cam lock style is definitely preferable.  Maybe I'm wrong but I think the biggest issue you face is the lathe spindle would need to be replaced with one that has D1 female stud pockets and the short male taper on the nose.  Plenty of adapter plates to put threaded chucks onto Cam lock spindle lathes but not Cam lock on to threaded spindles.  Would be cool if they exist, but I've not seen something like that.