News:

Welcome to Home Machinist's Journal!! We've been live since April 20th, 2024

Main Menu

Quick Links

Welcome to Home Machinist's Journal. Please login or sign up.

Sep 29, 2026, 06:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 51
  • Latest: Irv
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,461
  • Total Topics: 299
  • Online today: 161
  • Online ever: 971 (Sep 15, 2026, 06:11 AM)
Users Online
5 Guests, 1 User
chips and more

Aloris QCTP

Started by Piggiron, Jul 25, 2024, 06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Piggiron


34_40

To big for my setup, but thanks for sharing 

Piggiron

Quote from: 34_40 on Jul 26, 2024, 05:47 AMTo big for my setup, but thanks for sharing
Mine too. I'd jumped on it if it were BXA size.

4GSR

I run CXA on my 15" lathe.  Picked up a tool post with 8 holders for $400. It was barely used, had a little rust rash on one side of the holders, but cleaned up nicely.
Ken

34_40

Quote from: 4GSR on Jul 30, 2024, 10:34 PMI run CXA on my 15" lathe.  Picked up a tool post with 8 holders for $400. It was barely used, had a little rust rash on one side of the holders, but cleaned up nicely.
I have an Aloris AXA on the Clausing 108, I bought it used with some tool holders and it works well. Always need more tool holders it seems but I make do. I search for a deal once in awhile but haven't found one that trips my trigger yet.

4GSR

I bought up holders back when they were cheaper than they are now. And still never have enough.
Ken

chips and more

I have an Aloris BXA. The holders are mostly Aloris. A couple are Imports. And with the Imports I have there is a difference in quality. So, I dedicate those Import holders for not so import tooling. Have had the Aloris for decades and can't complain at all. With the Clausing lathe, Buck chuck and Aloris, I can hold tenths all day long.

4GSR

The import holders, there are some good ones and there are some bad ones.  They are hit and miss.  I will say the last few I've bought are way much nicer than some of the one's I bought 20 years ago. They have made improvements to their quality. 
I prefer to buy Aloris brand holders but who can afford them? I sure can't anymore. Even the second hand ones are expensive and most are worn out, too!
Ken

34_40

I agree, when you can find them used the wear is basically unacceptable so the search goes on and on.

PJ

I have one you might be interested in?  It's an older Aloris BXA tool post and one BXA41 boring bar holder that came with some auction stuff awhile back.  It was crusty and all full of gunk when I got it.  Took it all apart thoroughly cleaned the body and internals and greased it. As you can see from the pics I haven't touched/cleaned the mounting stud or the #41 boring holder. I did test the body with the mounting stud/nut on my existing BXA lathe post.  Its works butter smooth and locks the holders nicely.  LMK if its something you're interested in.       

PJ


PJ